Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Villain & Two Years Ago

It's been 2 years...to the date.  I'm still bitter but a little less than last year.  I imagine it will continue to be less and less each year.

I used to own a business, have a job, be an executive in a big fat million dollar company.  I used to own a million dollar house, have a house keeper, shop to my hearts content...I use to have a huge retirement account and two fancy cars, two yachts, medical insurance for my family, money to vacation wherever we wanted.

I use to have a business partner, who was also my father. 

I now have none of those things...including the father.  He went on a tirade.  Really I can't recall the details anymore.  It was so shocking, so emotional.  Because he was my father, I acted like...well...a spoiled fit throwing daughter instead of like an intelligent vice president.  I didn't handle it "professionally".  I tried and failed.  Would you handle it professionally if your father changed the locks on the business (including the yachts) and decided that you had no place there anymore...If he decided that 90 hours a week of work was not good enough...If he cancelled your children's (yes, including Hailey's) medical insurance...You had to do more, be more in order to be a part of the business.

So now I have none of those fancy things.  I do not own a million dollar home, I do not own a fancy car...I do not shop, I do not eat out, I do not vacation.  I do not have a retirement account...I don't have more than a hundred bucks in the bank right now.

But what I gained is huge.  So what I do have is a home that I love, close to my family...I do have self respect and the time to drive and pick up my children from school, I have time to cook, time for friends, I have a life beyond work.  I have a renewed sense of who to trust and who to turn away from.  I have strength and the knowledge that my husband and I will overcome any obstacle that is put in front of us...I'm a survivor and I gained pride in that.

So I'm bitter yes because he stole my choice but beginning to be thankful that I was shoved into the life and role that I have always wanted to be in.

2 comments:

  1. I commend you for having the strength to keep it together. For not forgetting how important your family is and still you are a caring honest person.
    I now believe everything happens for a reason, I too used to live alot more comfortably than now but my downfall was our own mistakes. Either way I too have found happiness in the the simple pleasures of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I didn't know that happened. I'm glad you can look at the positive.

    ReplyDelete