Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Private Language


While driving my little lady to school today, her little sister says, "I speak word English, Hailey speaks sign English". 

So I say, "yes, that's right"

and she continues..."That is why she has to hit me and pull my hair and bite me sometimes because she doesn't know word English, right Mommy?" 

And I say, "Well, no matter what she shouldn't hit or bite you or pull your hair." 

So Aubrey says, "Well that's why she does it you know...If she knew how to speak word English then she wouldn't have to hit me, pull my hair or bite me in the car because then she could talk to you without me screaming for her"

WOW...my 3 year old just figured out what it took me 2 behaviorists to figure out.  The car is a challenging place for Hailey because she communicates using sign.  I can't watch her hands and signs in the back seat while I am driving so she has to get my attention...So she attacks her sister so her sister will scream and then I will look back.  I think growing up with a sister with cri du chat has made Aubrey wise beyond her years...

So I say, "Well honey, maybe we should have Hailey start riding in the front seat" (Hailey is almost 60 pounds and is already tall enough to sit in the passenger seat)...And Hailey CLAPS and CLAPS and laughs and laughs....

Then Aubrey claps and laughs and says, "See sissy, I told you I'd tell her"...

I think that they have a private language that I'm not privileged to know and that makes me Clap and Laugh!

4 comments:

  1. What an insightful little girl you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hailey and I are very lucky to have her...She is such a smarty pants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is priceless....she does know her sissy for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a smart little girl and so caring! I too believe Sophie has a special bond with my four yr old I know it sounds odd but somehow it's like he just knows her and she is so happy with him.

    ReplyDelete