Friday, September 17, 2010

A Fashionista Melt Down!

My little lady is a fashionista.  She loves to pick out her own clothes and decide what she is going to wear and when.  A glimpse into the norm, for don't all 9 year olds love to pick out their own clothes?  That's wear the norm ends...On a regular morning, the girls get wake up, pick out their clothes, head to the bathroom to bathe and get ready...Only today, the sweater that Hailey wanted to wear was...wait for it...DIRTY!!  Oh no, I thought.  Crap...What to do?  Let me just tell you that looking back, I made the wrong decision.  Because by dirty, I don't mean that it was in the dirty clothes hamper...I mean that someone accidentally hung it up while unloading the backpack instead of putting it in the hamper (that would be me by the way...ut oh).  So she was adamant that she was wearing that sweater...And I was adamant that she was NOT wearing a dirty sweater to school...And so the mother daughter power struggle.  She pulled her sister's hair, threw her hearing aides on the ground, refused to eat breakfast, hit me, tried to bite me...I am talking about the MOTHER of all MELT DOWNS!  I could go on and on...How in the world was I going to get her back under control and in the car to get to school on time?  I bribed her.  I know it's horrible.  I'll pay for it later I am sure...I let her go into my closet and pick whatever sweater that she wanted...Then as the sobbing subsided she decided that was a pretty good deal...She picked out a lovely pink sweater...I pulled it over her head, rolled up the sleeves, dried her tears, replaced her hearing aides, cleaned up the breakfast on the floor, redid her sister's hair, and out the door we went.  We made it to school with a minute to spare and she had a huge smile on her face...

So here's the deal...I should have just let her wear the stupid dirty sweater to school.  Then we never would have had to start our lovely Friday with madness and craziness and huge tears...But that's the thing...It is easy to look back and say 'I should have'...I'll just have to remember this lesson for next time, or maybe I'll just be more careful about what gets hung up and what goes in the hamper!  I just have to hope that by bribing her, it doesn't encourage her to repeat the episode again so that she can wear my clothes...Silly Fashionista!

2 comments:

  1. Well, you can't say she does not have a mind of her own...I know that meltdown was not fun but the determination of her going for what she wants I think it's awesome! I know double edge sword, but isn't it always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is! She is so determined and stubborn but I wouldn't have it any other way!

    ReplyDelete