Thursday, September 1, 2011

7 MILLION DOLLARS

I was sitting in the waiting room during speech therapy today and googling odd things on my iPhone.  Then I started googling cri du chat blogs just to see if there was anything new out there that I hadn't read (I think I've read through every magazine in that waiting room!).  So I came across these articles highlighting this case.

A couple in Massachusetts sued their doctors and geneticist  for 7 million dollars and WON.



For having a child with cri du chat.  With Hailey's disorder.  Because the doctor's didn't encourage them to have an amnio and get a chance to abort the child if the couple felt it necessary.

Seriously.

What.

The.

Hell.

(please excuse my bad blogging language but what I really wanted to write was the F word!).

OK, I am all for the right to choose.  Really, I am. 

But after the fact?  After the child has been born?  I mean.  Seriously.

I don't even know how to express the irritation and the immediate hatred that I felt for this couple.  Unfortunately, their names are published.  I can only hope that I do not run into them someday at a conference or something.  I am not sure that I would be able to be civil or even polite.

I mean they have $7 million dollars because they didn't have the chance to abort their now living child.

WOW.

I cannot say what decision I would have made if I had an amnio.  I am just not sure.  I didn't have the burden to wear those shoes or make that choice.  I am glad for that.  I had testing done when I was pregnant with Aubrey and I am not sure what I would have chosen if those tests came out differently.

But how does that feel to your child to basically say in a court of law that you would have aborted them if you would have known who they would become...And you are so pissed and put out that you are going to sue someone.

Horrible.  I am going to go and give Hailey a big giant squeeze now and thank god that I am not a horrible selfish filthy rich person...Ok well maybe I won't thank god that I am not filthy rich...maybe I'll just thank him that I'm not horrible and selfish.

4 comments:

  1. First of all I want to meet this judge, lawyer and jury that all agreed to this family!!! It is sickening, and I actually feel bad for them for possessing such negativity. I will refrain on my thoughts and views of abortion, but I find it a blessing that they didn't have that test... that child is a blessing any which way they look at it. And I think the doctor should sue them for 9 million for being redonkulous and not asking for the test themselves or taking personal responsibility!!! This is makes me sad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy shit, are you serious? Google is dangerous. It sometimes gives you info you didn't want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is disturbing. I remember feeling upset about the doctor pushing the amnio (just because of my age), and telling him I didn't want to risk a miscarriage. We settled for a Level II ultrasound that showed every thing "perfectly normal". Even before that, tho, he and his staff kept asking me at the early appts. if I wanted to "continue" and I was so offended by that. And after my daughter was born with CdC, they looked absolutely AFRAID of me. Now I can see what pressure these doctors are up against. Doctors and patients become adversaries. It's just not right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so upsetting. Our daughter has CDC, we knew she would have something, didn't know it would be CDC.. didn't care. She passed away and I would give every cent I have and more if I could have just one more moment with her.

    So shame. People just don't know how lucky they truly are.

    ReplyDelete