Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sleepy Sleepy SleeZZZZZZZ

Hailey didn't sleep well from age 4 to age 8 or so.  She was up from about 10 or 11 to 2 am every night. It sucked.  I don't remember how I functioned on a daily basis at all.  At that same time, I was also working 80 to 90 hours a week.  I swear I have no idea how I survived.  It never really phased her though.  She never seemed exhausted.  She was almost more hyped up the less she slept.

Just before she turned 9, we took her into the neurologist to talk about behavioral medications.  He chose a medication that also helped with sleeping so it was a bonus.  The medication helped a lot of the aggressive behaviors and also helped her sleep through the night.  So she's been sleeping through the night for over a year now...And so have I!

Well about 2 weeks ago, we had to take her off of all of her medication to try and determine what was giving her muscle spasms.  Turns out, it was her behavioral medications and we chose to try a different medication. This medication does not help as much with sleeping. 

So Hailey hasn't really slept through the night in over a week.  It is awful.  I had forgotten how awful.

She falls asleep around 8:00 or so and then wakes up at about 10:30.  She rocks on her bed back and forth for about 1/2 hour and then wakes up completely until about 2 am.  Usually she will just play and I will be sitting in the hallway or checking on her every 15 minutes or so.

Well last night was something new...She woke up around 10:30 and I guess she had decided that she had slept enough and it was time to start her day.

She was so insistent that we needed to wake up her sister and have her breakfast and get dressed and then drive to school.  When I tried to explain to her that it was the middle of the night, she was so ANGRY!  She just could not grasp the concept that it was still sleeping time.

After speaking with the on call doctor, he suggested that I give her some benadryl for the night and then we would discuss different options with her neuro in the morning.  So I did that and she finally fell asleep around 2 am.

So today, I am exhausted...literally exhausted.  I really don't think that I can handle this up all night thing again.  I really really hope that we can get it back under control.

On the flip side, she had the best day she's had in a long time.  She smiled most of the time and really enjoyed herself...Go figure.  Maybe she operates best on 2 hours of sleep...

But Mommy, not so much.  I need my sleep...So I'm putting a word up there to the big guy...please please please have her sleep through the night tonight!

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you're going through this. I can't even imagine and both my daughters were horrible sleepers for the first two years of their lives.

    I really hope you find something that works, lets you all get some sleep and doesn't cause muscle spasms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. This is always so tough. I hope you get some answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    My name is Jenna and i came across your site. Hailey is an amazing, courageous, strong and determined fighter. She is a brave warrior, smilen champ and an inspirational hero. That's too bad that she isn't sleeping. A year ago I never slept at all for two months, and my mom was up with me every single night. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and love it when people sign my guestbook. I hope you both get some sleep. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete