Thursday, December 16, 2010

When Mommy Cries

I don't cry very often...Hardly ever.  I cried all of my tears almost 10 years ago...my tear ducts are pretty dry and I get mad, not sad.

So when Mommy cries, everyone knows it's something major.

Aubrey had her school Christmas party today and Hailey is out of school, so I had to take her with me to the party.  I actually thought about keeping Aubrey home and hoping she just forgot about it...That's how much of an ordeal it is to take Hailey into the 3 year old classroom.  But then I thought, well that's not fair to Aubrey.  She shouldn't have to miss it...

So I came up with a plan...I put Hailey in her wheelchair and figured I'd just park it out of the way of the other children so she couldn't reach any one's hair or head or arm or shirt or leg or...you get the picture...so she couldn't reach anyone or anything.

And I did...but it didn't matter.

See what I can't control is the other children and they were zipping past her and running about with their cookies in their little hands and she really wanted their hair, and probably their cookie too...So, I moved her back some more out of the running circle of wild 3 year olds.

There was a "book exchange" and the little girl who got Aubrey's book, came up to thank Aubrey.  I didn't even think about the fact that Hailey had seen me wrap that book and probably thought that it was for her...So I'm sure in her mind she was thinking, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING WITH MY BOOK THAT MY MOM IS GOING TO GIVE ME ON CHRISTMAS????????"...And I was too late when Hailey leaned over, grabbed the prized book and whacked the little girl over the head with it.


The prized book or shall we say...the latest weapon.

Tons of tears (it wasn't THAT hard of a whack but the girl was shocked)...and the mom says that it's OK but they all move as far to the other side of the room as they can possibly get...I think I muttered something like, "she'll be back to school in January so you won't have to see her anymore".

And I want to yell..."that is why we call her lilly long arms...she can literally make her arms extend to reach anything when she is determined"...and I want to explain that I try to be fast enough all the time and anticipate her every move but sometimes I FAIL...

Normally, I am not embarrassed of Hailey's behavior.  I can usually keep her under control and away from situations like this.  I don't apologize for her flapping or screaming or having to hold her hands as we walk by other children...

But today, I was humiliated.  And I didn't know how to fix it...I couldn't...And Aubrey was crying that Hailey always ruins her party and then I started to cry...in the classroom...in front of 16 sets of parents and grandparents and two very shocked teachers...And I fled...I scooped Aubrey up in one arm and pushed Hailey out of there like a whirlwind...all while hysterically crying.

Sometimes there are times like these when I wish I had that magic pill to fix her...Some type of hocus pocus magic trick to make her stop hurting other children...And then I feel guilty.

Guilty because when you are a special needs parent, you are expected to "embrace" the new life...that is how you get through it.  You accept it and deal with it and move forward...You don't make excuses...You challenge people to look at her so that you can prove you don't care...that it doesn't matter...that she is perfect in your eyes.

The fact of the matter is though that there will always be days like these...unexpected moments that sneak up on you and throw you into the depths of sadness and guilt and embarrassment...just like it was the first time someone looked at her funny...

6 comments:

  1. this is a beautiful and honest post...one of my friends has a daughter with Cru Di Chat, so I was familiar with the syndrome...
    I never knew how she did it...how she raised a special needs child, then my fourth child was born with Down Syndrome and I got it...how she does it...you just do...
    we're the moms and we do it...
    and sometimes it's okay, and sometimes we cry...
    and that's okay...
    beautiful words...I look forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just took my breath away with this post. This is exactly what I am going thru right now among other things and just feel I am at the end of my rope somedays. I cry I tell my mom how I feel my life is over and things will never be the rainbow at the end of the tunnel. I have a 6 year old boy who is at times getting stripped of all the things he should be experiencing now but that we dont do because of Ricky and what could happen if we went out in public. I feel so depressed and resentful and feel like sometimes I dont want to go on buyt do. I have the support of my husband at least and that is to a certain point also so somedays are better then others . That was a beautiful blog and made me feel at least I am not alone that there are others who are going thru the same trials as me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a mother at all is very complicated so when the special needs factor gets tossed in there, it's a whole new ball game. It's wonderful to be able to share our stories so that none of us feel alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had moments like these as well...just last night actually. I'd take that magic pill too. And, you're right, it just adds to the pile of guilt. {{{Andrea}}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you posted this in December 2010 and it's now January 2011 but my friend Lisa sent me a link to your post because I have just had a similar experience today. Tonight I can't stop crying about it and of course like you on top of everything I feel humiliated and embarrassed. I know it will pass and I'll get over it and reading your take on things makes me feel less alone (as well as having my friend Lisa)

    Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry that you have had to handle this situation. We have all been in it at one time or another with our special kiddos. Feel free to email me if you want to share some more. & remember that we are all in this together...hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete