Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My yearly week off

Every year Hailey goes to her dads for the week after Christmas.



I should be sad...right?  Well I am not. 

Don't get me wrong.  I miss her to the depths of my soul.  I think of her more during these 7 days each year than I ever do the rest of the year.  I have more time to think of her.  The rest of the year, I am busy with her...being with her...handling things.

This week I have nothing to handle.  I just have time.

I have time to catch up on every piece of laundry and bedding in the entire house...to put the holiday decorations away correctly...to find a home for all of the new presents...to have coffee with a friend...to take my littlest one to the movies and skating...to sleep in...to go to the gym...to wander aimlessly around Target (my secret luxury when I get an hour to myself!!)...to wash my face before I go to bed EVERY NIGHT!!...to watch all of my DVRs of General Hospital...to have my hair done (Thursday!!)

I just have time.  It is a gift.  It is a replenishing week for me.

Then I have the energy and the patience to be a better mother for her the rest of the year.

And about 3 days into the week (so yesterday) I start to realize what joy she brings to our house.

Especially when we are skating and the little one looks up at me and says, "Mommy, I don't think we should do anything else fun until Hailey comes home".

3 comments:

  1. It is a wonderful thing to take time off to recharge. I have gone to Montreat NC for a Worship and Music Conference and spent 7 wonderful days every year for the last 16 years and left Stephen (CDC, 18 yrs) at home with Dad. It is my time to spend uninterrupted, peaceful time with my friends and those are the best 7 days of the whole year.

    From one CDC mom to another...Enjoy your freedom, and it is freedom, to do what you want to do. Recharge and get ready for the next 358 days!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that last sentence got to me. My younger daughter is my 5p- girl. And my older daughter (she's 7) loves her sister with all her heart, but she loves having time with me by herself so very, very much. And yet...by the time our alone time is almost over, she's ready for her sister to be there again too.

    Re-energizing time is so important for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..I sometimes feel like I already need time to recharge but then I feel guilty. I guess the time will come for me too. Happy to know you enjoy your much needed time off and also nice to know there is no need to feel guilty. ;)

    ReplyDelete