Friday, January 13, 2012

It's noone's fault but my own

There are days in this life where I am down and there are days where I am up.  I mostly write about the down days because to tell you the truth those are the moments that I need support.  I need to get those days out of my head so that I can move on to the next day.  Those are the days that I need to write down.  Occasionally I have a really difficult day (like yesterday) where I would rather crawl back into bed and hide underneath the covers...where drinking an entire bottle of wine alone in my room sounds divine.  

I don't do rejection.  It really sends me into a tailspin.  I am sure that a therapist would have a field day with me! I am sure that they could take apart my childhood and dissect it and tell me why I freak when I feel like someone doesn't want me.  I am sure that they could blame a hundred people in my past for the reaction that I have when I start a cycle of self loathing.

But does it really matter why I do it.  And at this age is it anyone's fault but my own.  I am quickly sneaking up on 40 years old.  That means that I have evaluated my own breakdowns more than I care to admit.  16 years ago, I let that feeling run my life.  Then again 8 years ago.  3 years ago, I was close to letting it tail spin me again but I held on.  That self evaluation over the last 15 years has enabled me to recognize when I am losing it.  It allows me to give myself those few hours (or longer if necessary) to recover.  It means that I know that I shouldn't have interaction with people if I don't have to until I can get myself under control.  It means that I need to let myself cry and feel the rejection in the moment.  If I push it off for too long...it gets the better of me.

So yesterday, I got rejected.  Today, I won't be rejected.  I'm over it.  I gave myself the chance to cry under my covers watching general hospital and feel sorry for myself for a few hours.  Then I got up and resumed my life.

2 comments:

  1. It's no one's fault, including yours. Here's a toast to you with my coffee cup at 1:00 in the afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acknowledging hurt and disappointment is really hard to do for someone who is strong. You are VERY strong but you're also human and so you're subject to human emotions. I'm glad you gave yourself a chance to cry, to be sad and disappointed. But I'm also glad you got up today and got on with life. It's what we do, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete