Monday, March 28, 2011

The intersection

My husband and I went on a big date Saturday night to....(drum roll please)...TARGET!!  OK OK OK, well we went out to dinner afterwards and to a movie so it was a big date night but the highlight (for me at least) was Target!

I love Target.  I love love love love it.  For whatever reason I would rather wander around there than anywhere else.   I like to shop but it's not about shopping.   Weird, I know.  Their marketing department is literally GENIUS!!

So yes, back to the point...Hubby and I had just left Target with a new bathroom floor mat and a shower curtain (love love love)...and we are at the intersection and we see an accident.  Not a really bad one, just a fender bender...but an accident none the less.  And he starts telling me that he saw a news report and apparently that is the most dangerous intersection in the county to drive through.  Scary.  Especially since I drive through it every day about 5 times (Hailey to school and back, Aubrey to school, grocery store and of course, Target).

This weekend there was an accident on the highway where a drunk driver was going 100 mph the wrong way on the freeway and hit a tow truck driver head on.  The tow truck driver is a very good friend of my brothers and ended up (thank god) surviving with only a few scrapes and bruises...(side note, the drunk driver did not make it).

Hubby was home for 5 days and I hadn't driven myself in awhile until this morning...And I found when I got into the car that I was suddenly frozen.  All I could think about was driving through that intersection to drop Hailey off at school...What if someone hit us?  What if there was a drunk driver?  What if it was a teenager not paying attention.  My mind started running away with me.  I had to sort of snap myself out of it in order to get on the road.

The whole way to Hailey's school I was thinking about how sad it would have been if I let my fear grip me and not move forward.

There are so many intersections in our lives...Turn left or right?  Go straight or make a u-turn?  I may not know exactly where I'm headed but I do know that I will always have choices...(and also that there will always be a Target on some corner coming up!!!).

3 comments: