Tuesday, December 13, 2011

So proud of my hubby!

When my father took my life apart three years ago, I wasn't sure that we would ever recover financially...Honestly, I still have my doubts.  I have become a financial worry wart.  I literally stress about dollar that we spend. I am continually afraid that next month someone will bring me down again.  It is easy for people who have never struggled financially to say money doesn't buy happiness...I'm here to tell you, it doesn't buy happiness but it surely helps if you have all the other parts of your life together.

I remember when we had the magic 3 months emergency savings in an account and a fat retirement account.  When we went out to dinner 3 times a week and I ordered groceries online...no need to worry about coupons or saving.  When I was a wine snob and a grocery snob and a food snob.  

So crashing financially was an eye opener to me...if it was done by anyone else, I may have been appreciative at some point.  My eyes have been opened to how much we wasted, how irritating we must have been to other people, how stupid it was to charge on our credit cards never worrying that there would be a time when we couldn't afford to make the payments...how spoiled rotten my children were (what do you mean every 9 year old doesn't need a $15,000 basketball court????).  I just didn't think about finances.  They weren't a concern to me.  I figured even if I got fired or something happened to my job, I would just get another one...not so simple, I now know!!

But I'm not appreciative.  Mostly because it was done by my own father so there is an emotional trashing to this lesson that will never ever heal.  A daddy's girl who was knocked so directly and forcefully off of her pedestal by the very person who had put her there.

(side note, I could go on and on whining about this issue but it is not the point of this blog so I've stopped abruptly in my sob story to get to the point)...

So after 3 years of my hubby struggling to find a stable job in the construction industry (since he was basically black balled from the yachting community by the person above & will never be able to get another 100 ton master captain position in our area), we decided that there was no time like the present to go back to school. He started school in July and quickly moved to the top of his class.  He is training to go into the medical field and he will finish in August...did I mention that he brilliant?  Anyways, so the top two people in the class get the opportunity to interview for their clinical rotations to take place at the top hospital in our area!  And yesterday we found out that he made it to that level!  So in a couple of months he will get to interview and hopefully he will get the internship position and then after a few months...the hope is that he will get offered a full time position!  So exciting!  

That through all of this emotional and financial devastation, something good may be coming of it!  That we will maybe prevail!  

I've been pretty negative lately...my inner insecurities and my emotional trauma parts have been spilling out for all to see in my blog and on my facebook page and in real life.  Tracey used to tell me that when I act like this, he wins...which I know she is right.  

Fingers crossed, and toes, and eyes and arms and legs crossed that by the next holiday season, we will once again be financially stable and leave all of the horrible events of the last few years in the dust!

3 comments:

  1. What a great accomplishment and this is only the begining! I iunderstand 100% how you feel and worry about your financial stability because I too lost mine not for the same reasons but we are at rock bottom and it make it so hard to find a way to climb back to the top. But better things are in store and here is your glimpse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, awesome news!  I am so excited for your family!!!! Andrea, you are not just a survivor...you are triumphant! When all is said and done life is grander, sweeter, and more cherished for all the obstacles overcome. Your good report has me smiling through my tears!!!! So proud of your honey...that's incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete