Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rollerskating

I love when we find something that our entire family loves to do.  Last year, the 4 year old and the 15 year old had their birthday party at the skating rink.  I was so nervous about how Hailey was going to do that I had her behavioral assistant come to the party with us.  Boy was I surprised.  I guess that the fact that she had to focus so hard to stay up on her feet made it impossible to do anything else.  So negative social behaviors were non existent that day!

We have gone just one or two times since then and every time I think, why don't we do this more often?  She absolutely loves it.  Yesterday we were invited to a birthday party (Happy 8th Birthday S!) at the skating rink and once again Hailey loved it.  And once again, I pondered why we don't go often.

She smiles so much and laughs.  On the carpet at the rink, she can pretty much stay up on her feet all on her own.  This is always so amazing to me.  I mean 11 years ago, the doctors were sure she would never walk and here she is SKATING!  Once we get onto the rink, the floor is a bit more slick so I have a system of holding her up.  I hold my arm under her armpit and then hold her hand with my hand and basically it is like a moving crutch. The rinks in our area allow me to walk on the rink in my tennis shoes so that I can help her.  It is amazing.  She dances to the music and laughs.

I think that one of the best parts is that all of the other kids are so busy falling on their butts too that no one has time or the energy to look funny at Hailey.  It is the one social setting that we never get the weird looks from the little kids.  They are just impressed that she is on her feet while they are on their butts!  It is also a place where I get to smile continuously because she is having so much fun.  Other adults stop her and tell her how great she is doing.

If you haven't had the chance to take your children skating, I highly recommend it.  I worked there when I was in high school and for a couple of years afterwards.  I met my son's father there and basically grew up there.  Maybe that is why I have such a happy feeling there.  But all in all, it is amazing to just see her do something that no one every believed she would do!

And the "why don't we do this more often" question...well I also always forget that I can barely lift my arms up the next day from holding her up on the rink for 2 hours straight!!  I guess there needs to be months in between so that my arms can heal!

I hope everyone has a great Sunday morning!  And Happy Super Bowl!

8 comments:

  1. Go Hailey! And go Hailey's amazing mom. :-) Seriously, though, this is awesome. We had Alyssa's 8th birthday party a skating rink. Olivia didn't even want to try skating. She was 4 at the time. Six months later, another friend had her party at the rink and at that point, O wanted to try. She did really, really well. So well, in fact, that she wanted me to leave her alone in the middle of the rink so she could skate by herself. She was four an a half. She didn't walk until she was 29 months old. So yeah, pretty amazing kids we have, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post....Our children are amazing indeed! Seeing this gives me so much to look forward to with my Sophie as she grows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my name is megan and i made his just to talk to you about your daughter with cri du chat. Im 19 and i have a 11 month old also with cri du chat. I never talked to a mother with a child with the syndrome. I read some of your other blogs and hear you talk about sacramento... do you live around sacramento ca?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Megan...It's nice to meet you. Are you on facebook? There is a great support group on there where you can meet lots of us...add me on there & we can email :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a facebook how would i be able to find you?

      Delete
  5. What is your email address? I'll add you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled upon your blog one day when I Googled Cri du Chat, and I am so glad I did! I spent my free time at work over the last week reading all your entries from the beginning through now, while holding back the tears and the urge to email you. My husband and I have a thirteen year old daughter with 5p-, and three other children. We have never met anyone else with this disorder - never! I cannot tell you how refreshing it was to read about another family who understands the daily ups and downs we have faced for 13 years! I would love to email/facebook you to share more if you don't mind. jlfinch6@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete