Saturday, February 4, 2012

Can we get some PEACE??

It is looking like we may be on the brink of peace with a splash of tranquility!  Go ahead, read it again.  Yes, you did read that correctly.  Miss "glass half full" has a positive attitude.
 
Reason Number 1:
Hailey started a new school last week.  We fought a long hard battle to get her there and we did it!  It wasn't easy and in the end it was hiring an attorney that really did the trick.  Hailey doesn't test well and she doesn't assess well.  On paper, it looks as though she is much more delayed than she actually is...so much so that they really didn't think that she would fit into this new school...but I knew she could do it.

And so I fought...and so we won!

After five days at the new school, she is happier and better adjusted than she has been in so long.  We have never felt like her placement has been good for her but there were never any other options.  I have literally been fighting some sort of school district battle for over five years.  But not anymore.  One of the best parts is that she can stay until she is 22!  

I am so excited...have I said that already??

Reason Number 2:
Hailey is drooling again.  I never thought I'd be excited for drool...but I am!  This means that the botox is wearing off and we will finally be able to see if she will regain some of her swallowing skills.  The hope has always been that once the botox was gone the swallowing would return and we could eventually lose the g tube. And it is looking like we will be able to find out soon!  We have a new swallow study scheduled for the beginning of March and until then, she has actually started to eat and swallow baby food and applesauce textures.  All in all the swallowing is much better than we were expecting at this time.

Reason Number 3:
We found a respite worker!  She is wonderful.  We had to move towards agency respite because they cut off family respite in September.  This meant that for the first time, I would have to hire a stranger.  Hailey can be very difficult at times and I was nervous but our new girl is awesome!  She can't do anything with the feeding tube due to the respite rules but that is ok.  Tim and I went on a date night last night and had an amazing dinner and movie while she sat with the kids...and the kids were already asleep so they never even knew we were gone!

Reason Number 4:
I joined the PTO at Hailey's new school.  I have been struggling with finding other women and moms to connect with.  The fact is that I live in a different world then most people out there and I just have trouble connecting.  At this new school, all of the children are special needs so I can connect with them on so many levels!  I also am very passionate about event planning and this gives me the opportunity to use some of my very out of practice skills!

So you see, it is like we are on the brink of having it all!  And by having it all, I mean that I'll be able to go to the bathroom on my own once and awhile while Hailey is in school, Hailey may eat by mouth again, Hubby and I may be able to reconnect again and I may actually find some friends!

3 comments:

  1. All this is so wonderful. You absolutely deserve some peace and tranquility. And yay for drool!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for you all! I pray God will continue to bless your family with great things! Love, Norma

      Delete
  2. I am so happy for you!!! It's about time everything started falling into place for your family. Brought tears to my eyes (happy tears) that the botox is starting to wear off. Stay positive my dear friend what your putting out in the world seems to be coming back to you in full force.

    ReplyDelete