Thursday, June 23, 2011

So afraid to fail

I have been so tired over the last few days and not at all in the mood to do much of anything.  I really just felt like I've been coming down with something but after talking with my hubby, I think it is something more.

I'm pretty sure that I am afraid to fail.

I have never really had that feeling in my life.  I normally just jump head first into most situations.  I don't over think things and I don't have difficulty making decisions...or at least I didn't.

While I was a part of the yacht chartering business with the villain (also known on my birth certificate as my father), I was confident, business savvy, and really really good at what I did.  I worked my butt off and enjoyed pretty much every minute of it.

Then everything fell apart when the villain decided that I didn't belong there anymore.

And I still held onto my confidence, for awhile.

I applied for high end jobs making a comparable salary.  I made it to the final interview for 3 very high profile positions.  It was between me and one other person....then they would hire the other person.  I did know that the villain was giving me a terrible reference and that was basically what the decision was coming down to in the end...so I kept trying...like the little engine that could.

And then one day, I quit.

I quit applying, I quit trying to get positions, I quit networking, I quit learning, I quit looking. 

I decided that I was right where I was supposed to be...failing.  That if my own father couldn't even bother to give me a reference so that I could keep food on the table for his grandchildren...if he could put me in the situation to lose my home, cancel my disabled child's medical insurance without notice (along with the rest of the families)...If he could retain attorneys and require that I hire one too (therefore having to cash in all of my retirement accounts), if he could forget that I was his daughter...If he could treat me like a competitor and not family...then why should anyone else give me a chance?  Why should I keep trying.

So I quit.

But it's been 2 years and 9 months and I have to say, I'm sort of sick of being afraid.  So I started something new.  I went and got my real estate license and signed on all of the dotted lines.

And now it is up to me to start moving forward.  But that's why I've been so tired...because I don't want to start...because I am afraid to fail.  I am afraid that he was right and that I'll always be a loser.  I am afraid that the voice that is him in the back of my head will make me fail.  I am afraid that all of the disappointment that I felt, that my family felt will resurface.

But I can't feel that way forever right?  And how do I overcome that?  I have to just start.

So today, I ordered my business cards, finished setting up my mls accounts, set up my home office, made a list of things that I needed and made an appointment for my training to start...all while really wanting to lay down and take a nap.

Who knows, maybe I'll fail, maybe I won't but my hope is that I will at least succeed in proving the villain wrong...that I will survive without him and I will be successful despite of him.

5 comments:

  1. Hi my name is McKinley, I found your blog on Elastamom's Blog, my niece too has Cri du Chat. I have your blog on my blog roll and I think this is the first time you have updated since I added you. I hope you don't mind that I follow.

    I wanted to share something with you after reading this post. One of my greatest weaknesses is not feeling confident... or to fail. I have a learning disability that has trained me to feel pain when I fail because I did it a lot. Well so I believe I did... my family begs to differ. Problem is, it is what I believe. I recently had a job opportunity that unfortunately never fully manifested but it sure had me going, and I kicked the crap out of failure. Here are the two post that I think you would like, that I wanted to share. I hope you can find it as empowering as I did!!!

    http://gianandmckinley.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-am-so.html

    http://gianandmckinley.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-is-failure.html

    You totally have it in you!!! You will do great! If you need a pep talk feel free to email me {haolepinos@gmail.com}... I am in need of a anti-failure talk any ways hahahaha. Because you had that strength once before I know you will have it again!!! It is hard to find it but you just need the right tools to dust it off. You have those tools, just find where you last left them! Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for following my blog. I am so glad that you do. I haven't blogged in awhile...I've had a litte bit of writer's block and a whole lot of soul searching over the last few months!

    I really appreciate your words of encouragement. I am so hoping that I can find it in me to keep going and not quit on this new road!

    I also added your blog to my blogroll a few days ago & have really enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like McKinley, I originally found you on Tiffany's blog and have been reading for awhile. My four year old daughter has 5p-.

    I'm so sorry that your dad let you down. He's the failure, not you. Please know that. You're getting up, you're dusting yourself off, you're trying. By trying, you're guaranteeing that you're not a failure.

    I'm going through some tough self-appraisal right now too and I hope that in boosting other moms, other people, I can boost myself.

    You are not alone. You are NOT a failure.

    You can see some of my struggles at
    www.thissideofordinary.blogspot.com

    Wishing you all the best as you start this new career. I'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    my daughter has Cri du Chat and she is almost a year old. It has been a long year with lots of ups and downs. I like your blog and I hope you will consider me a blogging friend!

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Tommie & Brittany! I really appreciate the support and I love that we are all able to share our experiences with each other!

    ReplyDelete