Thursday, January 20, 2011

I remember...I see

Looking back...I remember when Hailey was fully included in a regular Kindergarten classroom.  I remember that she had her 6th birthday party and 6 regular developing girls came from her class!  I remember that they jumped in the jump house in the rain laughing and playing.  I remember that they dried their wet little feet by the fire.  I remember that Hailey smiled and played with them.  I remember that...

Looking back...I don't remember when things changed.  I don't remember when the regular developing children began to shy away from her.  I don't remember when the stares from children at school began.  I don't remember when she began to pull other children's hair.  I don't remember when she began to strip her clothes off when she was having a fit.  I don't remember when...

Looking back...I remember when she was a baby.  I remember that we use to go on playdates with Zach's friends.  I remember that I use to sit with the other mommies and laugh and watch our kids play on the playground.  I remember that she use to smile at the clouds.  I remember that I could take her anywhere.

Looking back...I don't remember when I stopped being able to take her anywhere.  I don't remember when I stopped being able to go on playdates with other children.  I don't remember when I stopped having a connection with other mommies.  I don't remember when...

But now...I do see that she still smiles at the clouds.  I do see that she still loves to sit by the fire and warm her toesies.  I do see that we can have playdates with Aubrey and Mommy and Hailey.  I do see that she has 2 friends from her class coming to her party.  I do see that she still laughs and plays with those children.  I do see that she is growing and developing into a lovely young lady.  I do see...

I do see how much joy she brings us and how much she is loved....

3 comments:

  1. I don't have much to say other than you give me so much strength. Having such a long road ahead of me I know it will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much sadness and yet resiliency in this post. Hailey is so lucky to have such an amazing woman as her role model. She's blessed to have a mother who might not remember when things got harder but who does still see the beauty in her sweet daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a med student who randomly found your blog while looking for information on cri du chat. I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with Hailey - you express yourself so beautifully, and it's obvious how much love you have for your family. Hailey is a lucky and beautiful young lady.

    Best,
    Bree

    ReplyDelete