Sunday, November 27, 2011

Your keyboard should have a mute button

There is something to be learned from the old saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".  I'm not saying that I always adhere to this little piece of advice that we have all gotten at one time or another but last night...I did hold my tongue (or my keyboard in this case).  On one hand, I am glad that I didn't continue to respond...and on another I am pissed at myself.  Because I held my "keyboard" I tossed and turned and fumed all night and have woken up fuming.

I love facebook and I love my blog but a few things have happened on there over the last week that have really gotten underneath my skin.

For one, I made a political reference about the occupy movement last week.  I don't normally comment about political issues.  My real father is a crazy political person who cannot let anyone have their own opinions or beliefs so I learned how to just nod and agree when people speak about politics.  So my political reference on my facebook page was commented on by a friend with a sarcastic joke which in turn set off another friend of mine and by the end, it was a full blown insult fest directed at me!  The friend of mine actually said I could look like an ass, I didn't do my research, I didn't know what I was talking about etc etc etc.  So I deleted the whole thing.  I don't like to be attacked.  I'm not good at holding my tongue and I can get very snarky and nasty when people come at me with insults.  

Last night, one of my facebook friends had some accusations slung at her about some t shirts that she has had made for herself and that she is now offering to all of our cri cu chat families at cost.  The accusations were really horrible and made references to her doing it for her "own personal game" and that she was in fact keeping profits and taking away from the 5 P minus society.  My friend making the t shirts has been asking all of us on facebook and in our support groups for our opinions about the shirts.  We voted on them and decided on colors.  It was an open conversation that included the price that it would cost to get them made.  There was even a post from my friend where she was super excited because she got a cheaper price then we all originally agreed to pay.  Anyways, I am sure that the person who was slamming her just had a crappy day (as we all have on this road).  I am sure that the mute button on her keyboard was temporarily broken.  

The reality is though that I have too much going on in my life to be slammed by people on cyber space. I go onto facebook and blog because the people who read my blogs are supportive.  Because they have become my friends.  My cri du chat friends have become my family.  And families all have bad days.  There is always a sister or a cousin or an aunt or someone in the family who heads off the keyboard deep end.  

I am just hopeful that they can realize that sometimes it is just best to say nothing.  If you don't have anything nice to type, don't type anything at all....

7 comments:

  1. Uh oh.... I think my mute button has been broken on more than one occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the exchange last night on FB. I agree that it got blown way out of proportion. I hope they can work it out. I, too, have learned to hold my tongue (or in the case of FB, my keyboard) in an effort to avoid hurting feelings or just to avoid the confrontations that arise.

    LIke you, I blog and go to FB for entertainment and because I feel like I've met some amazing people through these places. I'd like everyone to just get along or at least agree to disagree respectfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly put, Andrea...and so true. It's amazing how people will post things online that they would be embarrassed to say directly to you. Precisely why I deleted Facebook...I miss the wonderful people, but my life is so much more peaceful without all the drama that fb can generate. Even if you aren't directly involved reading about it does affect you.

    Thanks for the reality check. I think that all of us need to step back at times and ask ourselves "What is the purpose of this comment?" "Will this person feel better or worse if I say this?" Even the truth about negative things can be spoken kindly. As we well know life is going to beat us up enough. Our friends and support shouldn't be on the thrashing side...bottom line...we really do need each other, even if it's only to know we are not alone in this huge adventure we live daily.

    As Audrey Hepburn is credited with saying "Be pretty if you can. Be witty if you must. But be gracious if it kills you!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. *stepping off soapbox now!* 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too read that exchange on Facebook and I typed up a comment and then decided not to post it. So I guess I held my "keyboard" too :). But I decided that I didn't know enough about the situation and I did not want to make things worse. But I just wanted to let you know from an outside view, it did not come across as if this were a scam. It really seems like the people putting together this project were doing it for all of the right reasons. I hope that helps a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Brittany! It was pretty ugly. I made an original comment and then refrained the rest of the time. Thank goodness it seems to have gone away now and hopefully the negativity will start to heal.

    Beth ~ I know exactly how you feel. We miss you a lot on facebook :-). I have thought a lot about deleting mine but I just don't have enough social outlet being at home with my two girls all day long. I really do need the friendships that have come from facebook so normally the positive far out weighs the negative.

    Barbra ~ I know my mute button has been broken on many occasions!

    Tommie ~ I think that is the key...to agree to disagree respectfully...Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That FB argument over the t-shirts really got to me. But I muted myself. I just couldn't take it.

    ReplyDelete